Friday, December 16, 2005

Yellow Bird

Not many people I know have dated outside their race, my own friends included. I myself have never even dated within my race, but that's not really the norm. Just like everyone else, when I like someone or consider dating someone I'll wonder whether I'll be their type, not just personality-wise but, frankly, colour-wise. Because, let's face it, I'm not white. And it's not like I want to be something other than what I am, but I can't forget about this fundamental difference that is so visible to the naked eye.

People wonder all the time what their future spouse will be like. But do you wonder what race they'll be? I do. It's probably my number one question. The ensuing life I'd have with a caucasian man would be quite different from the one I'd have if I married a Vietnamese man or an asian man. Heck, the wedding itself would be radically affected. And don't even get me started on the kids, what they'll look like, what language they'll speak. It makes it almost impossible to daydream about the future or The One when the alternatives are so different.

White friends of mine will sometimes talk about setting me up with white friends of theirs. And at the back of my mind a small voice always wonders whether "asian" will be the guy's type. Because it's simply not true that all guys like asian women. Or at least be willing to date them versus just getting erotic massages or lapdances from them. A married acquaintance of mine actually told me that he liked me and that he'd never been with an asian woman before! Does my being asian have anything to do with his liking me? I certainly have no interest in being his token exotic asian mistress.

While I was in France I dated a really nice french guy. I won't even call him "open minded" because he never made me feel "different" from him in any way. But I sure felt it when I went to Normandy with him for Easter with his family. It's hard to describe what happened and how I felt. His grandparents weren't condescending as such. In fact, they seemed charmed by my asian-ness. They (unintentionally) made me feel as though everything about me was so interesting and unique. I think they even launched into a discussion on race relations and political correctness in France and pointedly asked me how I felt about it just so I could see how unracist and accepting they were of me. I may as well have just stepped away from the rice fields and off the boat.

It's funny, when I meet someone new, they'll usually ask me where I'm "from", but you don't think to ask that of Random White People that you meet. I know telling them I was born and raised in Montreal and that I'm Canadian won't answer their question. A guy I knew, once again in some feeble attempt at making me feel comfortable, once told me completely out of the blue "I don't see colour" and then later, "I'm so colour-blind." Huh? I almost gagged and rolled my eyes when he wasn't looking. Unless you're colour blind, you see colour.

I guess in the same way that I wonder whether white guys will like me because I'm asian, white guys will sometimes wonder whether I'll date them because they're not asian. In fact, I've had guys ask me before whether I only date asian men. Do white guys ever think they're my token white arm candy? Did you know that white people make more money teaching english overseas than their asian counterparts, regardless of actual speaking and teaching ability? It's like reverse racism...crazy.

Anyway, this wasn't a rant or anything. I just felt like thinking aloud on this topic. I know when I tried explaining some of this to my white friends they were really surprised and admitted that there's a lot I think about that they've never had to consider before. You probably won't see sitcoms about asian families popping up any time soon (Margaret Cho had a short-lived one, didn't she?), however I have noticed an increasing number of asians newscasters, which - I can't help it - makes me puff up my chest with pride. Betty Nguyen (on CNN), you go girl!

4 Comments:

Blogger Yellow Gal said...

I've thought these same exact thoughts. I think there are clues to determine whether a white guy is attracted to you because you're Asian. Some things that tip me off:

> He says "I like Asians" or "Asians are hot." (Okay that was obvious.)
> You are the 3rd, 4th, or 100th Asian girl he's dated in a row.
> Much more subtle, but he intentionally and deliberately brings up Asian culture and Asian issues. It's like he's trying too hard to "understand" you and your Asian-ness. The white guys I dated who did not have Asian preferences treated me like I was "white," if that makes any sense.

I've never been questioned by a white guy however as to why I'm dating a white guy instead of an Asian guy or if I only dated Asian guys. I have heard some resentment among Asian men as to why white guys are "taking" all their women.

I suspect I will probably marry a non-Asian guy, seeing my current pattern. And I don't know if you ever felt this, but sometimes when I see a wholly Asian family -- an Asian woman with her Asian husband and their perfect Asian child -- I feel a slight sort of ... guilt? Because that Asian family is exactly what my family is, and choosing a different lifestyle is sort of rejecting each of my parents' choice to marry a fellow Asian and rear Asian children. I suppose I am blurring the line between race as a color and race as one's culture/heritage/identity.

12/19/2005 12:26 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

I feel the guilt too. I wish I could just date/marry some asian dude, have some asian babies, and just be done with it already. But no, I suspect I too shall marry a non-asian, but at least our kids'll be gorgeous!

On the rare occasion I'll go out with a guy and he won't ask me where I'm from. My friends (who don't understand) think it's rude that he doesn't care. The way I see it, it's GREAT that he doesn't care cause it's not an issue.

I have heard some resentment among Asian men as to why white guys are "taking" all their women.

Funny. Asian girls will clutch their asian BFs to them when I'm around. A wasted effort and irrational fear if they knew me.

12/19/2005 10:28 AM  
Blogger monkeylogique said...

Great post about interracial dating. I do think though that someone simply asking "where you're from" is hardly something to dwell on. One would tend to ask that of anyone unless they were *obviously* local (by that I mean, say, from the accent for example). Even after saying "I'm from right here" one might ask "yeah but where are you from *originally*" and still that's only asking what your cultural background is (regardless of where you are born). Just a thought! :)

12/22/2005 2:51 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

True, true. I don't get offended when people ask me where I'm "from" since I tend to ask the same of people who look ethnic in any way simply cuz I'm curious.

Sometimes, after I tell people my nationality they'll tell me, "You don't even have an accent!"

12/22/2005 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home