Monday, December 05, 2005

Fridate Night

I went on a date Friday night (my first "official" one since the stint with JP, the cop) and actually had a nice time. We exceeded the recommended duration for a first date by about two and a half hours, though I'm well aware that this is not necessarily indicative of any relationship potential. I hope that makes me sound realistic and not pessimistic...

I was pretty disillusioned by my experience with JP, so much so that I never wrote about what happened, and chase it out of my mind whenever I think about it. I admit that it has affected me, the way I see things, and the way I approach similar situations. I am more cautious now and perhaps a little less forgiving. If I act like I don't care then maybe, just maybe, I'll be less disappointed if things don't work out. So no more detailed description of the evening's events, no more overanalysis of our conversation, no more premature fantasies. The only thing I know for sure is that I don't know anything for sure. That, and the fact that I'm not the best actress.

I'd like to see him again, but I'm not going to call, nor am I going to email. If it ends here, so be it. This is a somewhat difficult stand to take seeing how he is only the third in a long line of people I met this year to actually peak my interest, but I need to know that it is reciprocated before making any grand overtures. Men are not that complicated. If he's into me he'll let me know it, starting with a simple phone call. No sleuthing required. (Incidentally, why is it that the ones we want never want us?!) If he's interested, he'll call. If not? Mystery solved.

4 Comments:

Blogger bava said...

Sometimes men walk the fine line between showing interest and overpursuing. I went on what I thought was an excellent date with a girl. We seemed to connect very well, laughed a lot, had a good time, etc. I sent her flowers shortly after with a simple note expressing that I had enjoyed our date. And totally scared her off.

In any case, I don't think I agree with the dishonesty of current dating politics. If you like someone, you shouldn't have to be hesitant about calling them. There shouldn't be rules that declare you have to act counter to how you'd like to act naturally. I'm of the opinion that if you like someone you should be up-front about it, and vice versa.

Honesty needn't be a revolutionary idea, though I'm aware that people can get scared off by such straight-forward elocution. But need it be such a game of thrones?

12/05/2005 3:39 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Here's the thing: if a girl really likes someone she'd be thrilled to get flowers from him. If that gal was scared off by your flowers then she just wasn't that into you.

It's old fashioned but I just don't think women should pursue men. It's just never worked out for me in the past. You shouldn't have to get him to notice you or convince him to like you. If a guy likes someone, it's usually pretty obvious and it starts with a phone call.

12/05/2005 4:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, it is the game of the cat and the mouse, to increase the desire. It is part of the love game. What is easy to get is less valuable than what is hard to get.

It is true in all aspect of life including love and I don't think it is something "new" or the "current dating politics", I think it is as old as the world.

I can understand the girl being shocked by the flowers. Maybe it is too much too fast. If you do that to someone you just met and hardly knew, it is less valuable than to someone you know better, no ? In a way it is connected to the thing I just wrote above, same rules.

12/06/2005 12:06 PM  
Blogger Yellow Gal said...

Cat, I agree with you. I'd wait until he called and if he doesn't, oh well. I know I'm being old-fashioned/anti-feminist, but I believe the guy should call the girl to ask the girl out. (That, and I personally don't have the guts to ever ask a guy out.)

Good to hear though that it was a pleasant date!

12/06/2005 9:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home