Monday, October 17, 2005

What Would You Do If You Weren't Afraid?

I would leave my troubled live-in boyfriend of 7.5 years, quit my secure well-paying job in a huge corporation, move back to my hometown 600 kilometres away with our two dogs, buy my first home in one weekend, call up old friends hoping they'd want to hang out with me, and start dating again. Oh yeah, I did all that.
"When You Move Beyond Your Fear, You Feel Free."
I have never felt more liberated.

Now luckily I didn't have to quit my job because miraculously and coincidentally my then-boss mentioned that if I ever wanted to move back to my hometown I could keep my job and she would support the move. This was a mere few days before the fight I was to have with my then-boyfriend, which I decided was going to be the LAST fight we'd ever have because the relationship was over and I was leaving. I came back after the weekend and said YES! to the transfer before I could change my mind. And good thing I did because shortly thereafter my boss decided to leave the company and the new VP didn't mince words in telling me that he was not pleased that I was moving but that it had already been approved. That's right, SUCKA!

Talk about the stars being aligned. What's more, around that time I found a book on a shelf at the office called "Who Moved My Cheese? An A-Mazing Way to Deal with Change In Your Work and in Your Life" by Dr. Spencer Johnson. It's a fun, easy read, and really motivated and encouraged me to venture, not fearlessly, back into "the maze" in pursuit of what I really wanted for myself. I was scared shitless but I kept asking myself "What Would I Do if I Weren't Afraid?" What would YOU do?

Yes, it took me almost 8 years to end my relationship, take my life back into my own hands and start living it but better late than never as they say. (Now that I've got my personal life sorted it's time to tackle my dissatisfaction at work.) Judging from all the unhappiness I see and feel around me I am grateful that I was given the opportunity to completely change the course of my life and that I was able to Carpe Diem before it was too late.
"The Quicker You Let Go of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Find New Cheese"
Your "cheese" is out there. Go and get it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home