Thursday, December 22, 2005

Club Kids

I was never one. In fact, I had never frequented dance clubs with any regularity until this year, so at 27 I'm more than a late bloomer. I only recently got a serious glimpse into this other world when I met Manu, Lora and Jules. They are hardcore, baby. When I first met them, I liked them a lot. They seemed like so much fun, and they are, and I do like them but I realized that I can't (and don't want to) keep up with them despite being several years younger.

The Club Scene is something I knew nothing about. I had an inkling of its existence but had no idea what was involved. It's a world of introductions, connections, shmoozing, name dropping, VIP lists, cutting in line, and getting in for free. At the entrance of the last club we went to Manu mumbled to me, "Introduce yourself" to the girl at the door. I couldn't bring myself to do it. Hell, I'd rather pay the pithy cover than try and befriend a stranger who knows exactly why I'm being so chatty.

The Three Muskateers party hard and often. Too much for my taste but on occasion it's definitely entertaining. These guys dance to everything and for hours - typically until closing. They are some of the best dancers I've ever seen. Two are latin and ooze sensuality, which attracts a lot of attention on the dance floor. Lora's moves especially act as a (sleazy)dude magnet. They're also known to go home with people they meet in clubs. One-night-standers...I thought they were Urban Legends.

I'd been planning on spending New Years Day with Manu and Lora at an After Hours club but I've since reconsidered. I'd gone to The Cross this summer while in London and saw some funky shit but apparently Montreal After Hours are pretty unique. Indeed I was told that it's not unusual to see couples openly engaging in all sorts of explicit acts. Everyone is on something in order to dance all night. I guess it's the combination of drugs and atmosphere that give people carte blanche to do things they wouldn't normally do. The only thing that gave me pause was the fact that I might be left to fend for myself (and get myself home) if either Manu or Lora hook up and leave without me.

Even though it's not my scene I'd like to see what it's all about. I'm sure I'll never return so why not go on the best day of the year. January 1st is going to be the wildest party yet. Manu and Lora will want to enjoy their night without having to babysit me so I won't go unless I'm sure I won't be in their way. I'd just better prepare myself to see some wack stuff. We all have a bad side (don't we?) that is tickled by taboo. I'm curious to at least observe what goes on, but not necessarily participate in anything myself (though admittedly the temptation and opportunity will be there).

I've still got a week to think about it. Worse comes to worse I can just leave and grab a cab if anything makes me uneasy. I think sometimes we feel uncomfortable because we think we should be uncomfortable, because we are ashamed or embarrassed by being attracted to that which, in everyday life, we've been told we shouldn't be. Will it be different to be in an environment where you know you won't be judged and are in fact just behaving in the same way as others around you? Dance like no one's watching except you know (and like) that they are?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home