Friday, January 06, 2006

Mission Impossible? Think Again.

I cannot BELIEVE the miracle that I just performed. I've reached a new high or low, depending on how you look at it. Earlier this evening, in a moment of both sheer weakness and utter hope, I went ahead and called The Cop after more than 3 months. My best friend convinced me to give it one last college try, telling me that I'd let the one person I most adored go without enough of a fight. I had to find out whether we still had a shot before going any further with The Boy.

So I called (around 7:30pm) and got the machine where I left a rather flirty message. Hours later I came to seriously regret the tone of the message and was ready to sell my soul for the power to erase it. Desperately, I dialed directly into the answering service, hoping to be able to somehow, someway guess his password - a 4-to-8-digit number that could have been conceived by any one of the three roommates in the house. On the 5th try, I got in.

I am Lara Fucking Croft, ladies and gentlemen. WTF?! It is UNFATHOMABLE that I managed to guess the code. He and I barely knew one another and I've never come close to meeting his roommates, yet somehow out of the infinite combination of 4-to-8-digit codes they could have entered I managed to guess it in 5 attempts. The magnitude of this feat stuns me. What are the chances?? He could totally arrest me for this. Oh, the irony.

Miracle aside, my message was the only one saved and I deleted it with some hesitation, hoping they'll think the erasure was due to a random glitch in the system. I'm thinking one of his roommates heard it and saved it for him. Logic here is that with three roommates they'd delete their own messages after listening to them in order to keep the box clear, right? So he's probably not heard it. I'd rather his roommates tell him what they remember about my message rather than let him hear it himself. He may know they mean me because I'm, like, the only english speaker he knows. If he wants to call me back but doesn't have my number anymore he can easily look it up. I'm in the book. If not, I am happy to forget about this little mishap (and him?) completely.

Wow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cat said...

Nem, you're alive!! At least work is working out for one of us. Hope you're well too. Get us an update soon!

1/06/2006 10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home