Friday, October 21, 2005

What Was I Thinking?

My Category-5-Flu-Warning has been downgraded to a Category-3-Miserable-Cold. Still feeling terrible but at least it's not serious. This being the fifth or sixth time I've been sick this year I shall be forced to cut back on the visits to my sister's. She has a 2 year old in daycare who is a germ magnet and no doubt the transmitter of ailments.

Given the way I feel, or rather the way I LOOK, I will not be going to that Speed Dating event tomorrow night. I know, I know, it sounds like an excuse but it will take all of 7 seconds for potential suitors to register my bloodshot eyes, red nose, blotchy skin and nasally voice and pray for the sweet release of the bell. Speed Dating seems mortifying enough without looking like the posterchild for Nyquil.

I did something really stupid yesterday. I read once that rather than calling a guy you should call his answering machine just to hear his voice and hang up before the beep. In my heavily medicated state I remembered to block my number before dialing but then punched in HIS number instead of the answering service. He answered. Oh shit. I hung up. Oh shit, did he hear me saying Oh shit?! Just. Kill. Me. Now.

I don't know what possessed me to do that. I thought I'd made so much progress but hearing his voice live for that 0.5 of a second was enough to get my insides churning again. Damn. Damn. Damn. It's okay. I nearly fell off the wagon there but I (barely) managed to right myself just in time. For such a narrow escape I still feel crushed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Cat, just found your blog. Hope you feel better soon in more ways than one.

10/23/2005 7:25 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Thanks, OG! Just visited your blog. Your recent boy troubles sound very familiar. It has inspired me to go into a bit of detail on my conundrum since I'm obviously not doing a very good job forgetting about it...

10/24/2005 3:30 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Cat,
My boy troubles have not only been recent, but a majority of my dating life. I'm starting to think its probably not me...men are just idiots.
Forgetting is hard, sometimes I think forgiving is the easier part.

10/24/2005 8:42 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

At least that last jerk you were involved with had the balls to tell you the truth. He didn't just DISAPPEAR on you like the last coward I dated. I'm still trying to come to terms with this.

10/24/2005 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home