Thursday, March 23, 2006

Must Love Dawgs

I've two dogs.

Bo is the younger, smaller of the two. He's a Poodle/Bichon cross. Bo is hyper, excitable, an attention hog, and therefore often annoying. At the same time he's very affectionate, sensitive, and always wants to be as close to me as possible. Bo comes running when called, follows me to the bathroom, and cuddles with me on the couch. When I'm sad he's right beside me trying to lick my face.



Sam is the older, bigger one. He's a pure Bichon Frise bred from a long line of champion show dogs. Sam is quiet, laid-back, independent, and often mistaken for a throw cushion. He barely stirs when called, unless it's time to eat. Sam ignores Bo (as much as anyone can ignore Bo) and rarely comes to me for affection. Sometimes I wonder whether he loves me at all or just tolerates me for the perks.


Even though I'm (usually) happy for Bo's constant companionship it's Sam's approval I so desperately crave. Bo loves everyone and is easy to win over with a belly rub. Sam is more discriminating, more aloof. Whereas I've almost become oblivious to Bo's persistent demands for attention I'm grateful for any shred of acknowledgement that Sam (so stingily) dishes my way. I'm more patient with Sam, will reign Bo in on the leash to keep pace with Sam's slow waddle instead of vice versa. I'll often go to Sam and crush him in a big hug, holding his wooly body to my chest (while Bo throws a jealous tantrum), only to watch him walk away as soon as I let go. Bo then swoops in, eager to pick up the pieces.

It occured to me that there's a parallel between my relationships with my dogs and those with my men. That is, as much as I appreciate 'Bo' types I prefer 'Sam' types, at least in the attraction stage. Don't get me wrong - I love both my dogs and I know that despite Bo's questionable loyalty and Sam's detached company they both love me, but there's something about Bo's neediness that turns people off. I've noticed my guests offering themselves to Sam and how their eyes light up when he quietly accepts their petting. Sam's got this playing-hard-to-get thing down. Sometimes he'll even sprint off as I'm getting ready to grab him proving that theory that anything you chase will indeed run away.

Sandy mused that her friend Jon, as well as Tim, Pat, The Boy, etc. are all Bo's. I know they like me and while I'm very nice to them I'm just not making too much of an effort, which hasn't seemed to deter any of them. (Kay would be proud of me.) Then there's Blind Date (AKA Hot Hockey Hunk) who's more of a Sam. I'm not pursuing HHH (refer to chase theory above) but I'd sooner drop whatever I'm doing to see him again over anyone else. He's raw, masculine, and totally appealing. A sexually-charged brute with a stick. Probably the dawg of all dogs. I guess women love dawgs the way men love bitches.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how's the blogging business...
how's dad ???
i see you still busy with the datin' and the cruzzin'....

be safe !!!

3/27/2006 1:36 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Hey, long time no see! Dad's doing OK, thanks for asking :)

Hope all's well with you. Planning on visiting your mom's resto any day now!

3/27/2006 3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home