Monday, October 24, 2005

Married...With Children

Yes, he was. He is. He was also older, confident, charming, all of which made him quite attractive. It took willpower to resist but resist I ultimately did because, as previously indicated, he was unavailable. I didn't want to be the "other woman", even for one night. This wasn't the first time I've been in such a situation and I'm sure it won't be the last.

I understand that people, especially those in long term committed relationships, still need to feel attractive and desired by the opposite sex so they'll often engage in a little "harmless" flirting. We're human beings and as such will, at some point in our lives, be attracted to other people. It's naive to think that your significant other will never look at another. Lookey but no touchey.

If, by all accounts, you have what others would consider a great relationship - you love, respect, understand and are attracted to one another, have similar values, communicate well, get along, all that fluff - there will nevertheless always be the risk of infidelity at some point in your relationship. Even the strongest relationships have their challenges and if you don't have a herculean bond to begin with...good luck to ya! So what is a girl to do? Some thoughts...

* Don't marry too young. This has as much to do with maturity as with experience. I personally think men should be at least 30, if not older.
* Don't marry your first and only boyfriend. It IS possible that he's The One but more often than not, somewhere down the line you'll think, "What if...?"
* Don't marry him if you've cheated on him multiple times in the past or vice versa. What foundation is that upon which to build a marriage?
* Once a cheater always a cheater? I don't know. But I wouldn't immediately get involved with someone who has done it once. More than once? Red flag.
* A partner who travels on business or spends nights away from home is not a good idea. Opportunity knocks.
* Suspicion breeds resentment. I don't condone blind trust but you can't keep your partner on a ridiculously short leash. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Sometimes there's nothing you can do. You can be the sweetest, smartest, sexiest and most successful person and it still won't matter. I guess the best you can do is to do your best...

4 Comments:

Blogger Regan said...

THANK YOU for not being the other woman! My fiancee and I have a great relationship - great. He's obvioussly my soul mate, but I'm such a flirt...it's hard. BUt I know I love him and I could never do anything to hurt him.

Thanks for posting this. The thing I've learned is that all relationships take work...a lot of work. And it's always best to be on your toes and catch problems before they arise.

Great blog!

10/24/2005 1:19 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Thanks for your comments! I'm not saying that it's ever right to pursue someone who is unavailable but one of my friends did fall in love with an unhappily married man (who is now going through a divorce). I am not defending her actions but I will say that that if you're going to choose to go all the way it had better be because you're madly in love, otherwise there's just no excuse.

10/24/2005 2:55 PM  
Blogger My Mouth said...

Frequently, there's nothing we can do about what we think happens, and in the process of doing that, we find out the opposite is true.

10/24/2005 6:21 PM  
Blogger Yellow Gal said...

Hi cat.. Thanks again for stopping by my blog. Some intersting points you make here. About the first love thing--I think it is possible to be happy with your first & only boyfriend. I am a total "what-if" girl and am glad that I didn't marry my first boyfriend; but the what-if question can plague even the most experienced daters. I can be in my 14th long-term relationship and always wonder, is someone better out there?

I do agree though that people should not marry too young (which I suppose coincides with the marrying the first boyfriend thing). The person you are at 20 is completely different from the person you are at 30, and so on.

Again, some interesting points you made here. Keep up the cool blog!

10/25/2005 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home