Monday, November 07, 2005

Matchmaker, Matchmaker, Make Me A Match

My cousin broke the mold last year by being the first person in both our immediate and extended families to marry outside our culture. She didn't stray too far as the Husband is still asian, but I'm sure my aunt and uncle took little comfort in this fact. Though they came to love and accept him as a member of the family, in an ideal world they would have chosen differently for their daughter: preferably a Vietnamese doctor, dentist, pharmacist or computer engineer with a melodic singing voice, which he would use to serenade her during the Karaoke portion of their wedding reception.

My cousins and I are first generation Canadians & Americans. Few of us speak our native tongue and those of us who do do so with heavy North American accents. (I've often served as Interpreter between older and younger relatives.) Nevertheless, prior to the above-mentioned scandal, those who had married, including my own siblings, married within our culture. I was surprised to see a recent wedding photo of my Texan Cheerleader Cousin - who had previously had a penchant for African-American men - with her new Vietnamese husband. See? My parents crowed triumphantly. See?

How can I marry a Vietnamese guy if I don't even know any Vietnamese people? I once explained to my parents. As soon as the words were out of my mouth I wanted to eat them. Too late. That was my mother's cue to don her brocaded robes and gleefully assume the role of Village Matchmaker, much to my chagrin. I allowed her to trick me into two (completely disastrous) meetings (Why don't you come over for dinner? OH! But who could THAT be at the door?) with greasy-haired middle-aged virgins before permanently revoking her matchmaking privileges.

It's hard to enough to find a decent man of any race, much less one who speaks the same language that I (barely) speak. I am more open-minded now about the (remote) possibility of ending up with a Vietnamese Husband than I used to be, though I have yet to date an asian guy. If it happens someday then great, but what I won't do is go out looking specifically for it. This includes going to "Asian Night" at local clubs or to those that cater to primarily asian clientele. It just seems unnatural and uncomfortable and I don't see the point. My parents are doing their best to be supportive of my choices but I know they haven't given up the dream and are hoping that I'll eventually come to my senses. Until then my mom will be waiting in the wings with a string of Vietnamese dentists ready to wow me with their stainless steel implements and moving renditions of the Vietnamese national anthem.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cat said...

We'll have to exchange horror stories about the "men" (that's debatable) of our respective cultures! I do find VN men Small, not just in stature but in mind, charm, and personality.

Growing up I was adamant, NO WAY am I marrying a VN guy. Now I'm like, I suppose there's a remote possibility but I won't hold my breath. It's an improvement so my folks are relieved that I've evolved :)

11/08/2005 9:52 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Finding a partner is hard enough without placing restrictions on yourself.

In my mind, the most important thing is to find someone you just flat love being around, who makes you laugh, accepts you for all that you are and treats you well...

After you've done that, I think the rest is pretty easy! :)

Be true to yourself, and don't ever 'settle'!!

You'll find the 'match', most likely when you're least expecting it!

11/08/2005 10:05 AM  
Blogger Darth Midnightmare said...

You talk at one point of returning to your senses. What exactly is sense? After all, if I want to do something right now, isn't it logical to assume that what drives me to this feeling is sense itself?

As for meeting sensible men, *sigh* I feel the same way about women :-(

11/08/2005 5:28 PM  
Blogger Yellow Gal said...

Ah yes, the perpetual parental hope that one's child will marry within her ethnicity. I too have been to those Asian parties.. it is surreal.

As for VN dudes, sorry to hear your experiences with them thus far haven't been so positive. The ones I've met tended to be the Americanized, easy-going, laid back type. And intelligent.

Despite the parental/cultural elements, I think (like the other posts have mentioned) it boils down to compability. Sometimes, sharing a common background or heritage adds to compatibility. Other times, it's quite the opposite; e.g. I don't think I could date a BOB ("back on the boat")-hardcore-"AZN-pride" dude.

11/08/2005 6:04 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I really find this interesting. As a German/Scottish/Native American mutt, I've never had experience with my parents putting cultural restrictions on me. Religious restrictions, to a point, as they would really like it if I ended up with, as my mom puts it, "A Good Catholic Boy". But it is interesting to read about this. As always, I enjoy reading your stuff!

11/08/2005 6:43 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

I've noticed that asians in the States are even more westernized than the ones in Canada. I remember learning in Sociology that immigrants in America feel the need to integrate more than they do here. I can understand why my Texan cousin found a modern VN boy whereas the ones I've met, even the "westernized" ones are still too FOB-bish for my taste.

11/08/2005 7:17 PM  
Blogger slurp! said...

gee, that's a interesting post and make me realise that's really a whole new asian society in the westernized part of this world.

i can't help but noticing words like westernized, modern, open-mind, intellgient and asian, small (in character), close mind.

So does being WESTERNIZED equte to a better man / woman?? I wonder. What about those Asian values, aren't they attributes of a better (asian) man/woman?

i believe, whether open or close minded. there are always the flip side of the coin. (i.e there are always good & bad). striking a balance is probably more important.

And likewise, never judge a person personality / character by first looks. Beauty (character) is skin deep. at this rate, you never gonna knowmore & appreciate the good side of a person (if any).

Hence i feel that it's best one can keep an open heart when we try to understand somebody better before pasting "judgement"

All the best to finding your Perfect Match! Cheers :-)

“It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

11/10/2005 9:16 AM  
Blogger Cat said...

So does being WESTERNIZED equte to a better man / woman??

The degree to which one is "westernized" doesn't mean "better" but it can mean "better suited" for someone with a similar background, upbringing and lifestyle.

I don't think anyone here is saying that we judge people based on physical appearance alone. It's the accompanying personality that's the problem, but being unattractive certainly don't help!

11/10/2005 10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home