Friday, February 10, 2006

Good Night And Good Luck

Sandy told me that when she stays over at her best Friend's house the Friend won't sleep in the same bed with her. "I can't sleep with someone beside me," her Friend explained. Sandy reminded her that she would have to start getting used to it as the Friend was about to move in with her boyfriend. "Oh. Well...That's different," was the Friend's lame reply. Sandy was offended. "I don't get it," she said to me. I didn't either but I do now. Sandy's a snorer.

Now I don't know whether that's the same/real reason for the Friend's refusal but there's a good possibility it is because I sadly got no more than two hours of shut-eye the whole night. In the wee hours of the morning I decided to discreetly put on a CD hoping it would muffle Sandy's snoring. I was relieved when a few minutes later she stopped, and I was just starting to mercifully drift off when she suddenly asked, "Would you mind turning off the music?" Damn. So close. "Um, I can't sleep," I said tentatively, as I hit the Power button. "Me neither," she agreed, "I'm drifting in and out." Well, she was certainly drifting more In than Out as far as I was concerned but of course I couldn't say this and hurt her feelings, especially over something she couldn't control.

Sandy's a great girl, one of the sweetest people I've met, and our evening was a hoot but she probably won't be spending the night again any time soon. Not unless I get a cot or pull-out couch for the living room. My excuse for banishing her to the dungeon? I'll just tell her that I simply cannot sleep without music and I know she can't sleep with it. The classic It's-Not-You-It's-Me excuse. I never thought I'd have to use it on another girl but desperate times call for desperate measures!

5 Comments:

Blogger monkeylogique said...

I don't see anything wrong with just saying: Babe, you snore. I can't sleep!

2/10/2006 3:06 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Maybe I can find some way to joke about it but I couldn't say it at the time. I know Sandy'd be mortified.

2/10/2006 3:32 PM  
Blogger bava said...

You could always try ear plugs? No, I don't think I could sleep with ear plugs in my ears either.

2/10/2006 6:11 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Snoring is embarrassing in general but I think it's even more so for a woman to be told that she snores.

I tried sleeping with my fingers in my ears last night. That was pretty uncomfortable.

2/10/2006 7:23 PM  
Blogger slurp! said...

I once know a guy that always waits for his GF (now wife) to sleep before he turns in. Simply becoz he knows that he snores.

perhaps you should have told her straight as she might not knows about her snoring problem?

but if she is like another snoring guy i met, who insist others instead himself, that are snoring. you may consider altenatives like some hi-tech noise cancelling headphones for help (i.e if you can't avoid her at all) :D

2/13/2006 12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home