Monday, January 16, 2006

A Girl Has Got To Have Her Priorities

I broke up with The Boy this weekend. I was actually going to tough it out for a while longer but something occured that precipitated my decision. I found out that he'd signed up for an online dating account - around the time when I first told him about my doubts - all the while telling me not to give up on "us". While I do believe he liked me it sucked knowing that he was getting a head start on finding a replacement in case things didn't go his way. Caught like a deer in the headlights, not only did he initially deny it when I confronted him, he became defensive when he finally did admit to it. The way he reacted and retaliated was what put the final nail into the coffin.

I feel somewhat relieved now that it's over. Contrary to The Boy's accusation, I didn't need a reason (other than the fact that I wasn't that into him) to end things, though this indiscretion was discovered at an opportune time. Frankly, I was surprised and hurt by his reaction, though I understand his natural Fight versus Flight choice. If he'd been apologetic or remorseful I would've at least forgiven him before sending him on his way. But now all I am is glad that I didn't stick around cause who knows how long he would've been shopping around behind my back while lying to my face. I realize that I'm not entirely innocent in this case but I wasn't the one making (false?) declarations of love.

The ease of online dating is both an advantage and a pitfall. Ideally you want to meet someone who, like you, has only met a few (ie: < 5/yr) people online and is not some kind of cyber-slut/skank. However, it's inevitable that you'll encounter those who are less discriminating and more active. I don't particularly like knowing that I am so dispensable and I don't think my dates would either so I am careful to keep my "number" respectfully conservative. But I think I've had it with this method, at least for a while. I've actually met quite a few people by other means so I don't feel bad relegating Online Dating to the bottom of the How To Meet People list.

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted. The good news is that I'll have new material for my blog, right? In the end it's all about the blog, baby.

7 Comments:

Blogger bb said...

Is your name really Cat? That's a great name. Don't get to down on yourself; life is messy eh.

1/16/2006 11:40 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Blair - I may be down but I'm not out :)

Manda - Woah, a month away. Welcome back! Hope things are well with your ol' man?

1/17/2006 1:29 PM  
Blogger monkeylogique said...

Fancy living in London for a while? It's REALLY nice out here!

Hey, where did all those new posts come from? Did you just upload all that today?

1/17/2006 5:51 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Monk, is that an invitation? I was in London last May but I'd fancy another trip out again this year.

I been keeping my blog up to date, dear, where ya been?

1/17/2006 6:05 PM  
Blogger monkeylogique said...

I check your blog daily! I guess I was looking at the same cached version for a week(?)! And yes, it's an invitation. :)

1/17/2006 6:28 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Cat, ya did the right thing girl. And regardless of you having doubts or not, he has no excuse for putting an online ad out there before things were over between the two of you. That's just dirty.
And honestly, the fact that there was no spark is a good reason in itself to not continue in a relationship. You can't help your feelings.
You'll find someone, just keep on keepin' on. Besides, like you said, its great fodder for the blog. It is all about the blog!

1/17/2006 6:46 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Monk - REFRESH, dude, REFRESH!

OG - Yup, Blog then Boys. My blog must be getting seriously boring - I didn't intend for this to be my Dating Diary. Perhaps I can give it a racy spin :)

1/17/2006 7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home