Friday, April 07, 2006

Opportunity Knocks

I've been suffering from a severe case of writer's block, which partially explains why I haven't blogged in what seems like forever. It's also been relatively quiet on the dating front, though it's a reprieve that I've actually welcomed given that I've been rather preoccupied with thoughts of work lately. Ironically, the creative constipation and dating drought are indirectly related to my work woes. I've yet to finish an article that I'm planning on submitting as part of a job application and the deadline is looming.

I'd been thinking about moving on from my current employer for some time now but still hadn't come across anything that would justify my leaving six years at a well-paying, multi-national corporation behind. I even got that raise that I'd been griping about since last October. I know I was overdue for an increase but I also think it was a strategic decision on the part of management, who've been teasing my department with (as yet unfulfilled) promises of restructuring and new challenges.

It doesn't help that my friends Sandy and Laura are both starting new jobs soon. In fact, we're going out tomorrow night to celebrate. I'm happy for them but I can't help feeling a bit jealous too. Laura was leaving her job at a cosmetics company and actually referred Sandy for the position. You always hear about people getting jobs this way but I've never relied on anyone but myself to get ahead. I find the whole job application and selection process to be somewhat haphazard. The best person for the job doesn't always get it, especially if she didn't know about the vacancy in the first place. Sometimes it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. It's unfair but life can be unfair like that.

In the meantime, as I wait and hope for new org announcements, I've put my feelers out and will continue to pursue selected opportunities. I'm a big believer in fate, not insomuch that I'll sit idly by waiting for things to happen to me, but rather that the right door will eventually open for me as long as I make sure I'm already on my feet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home