Friday, May 19, 2006

Le Freak

I realized that the marked decline in my number of posts is related to my utter disinterest in boys and dating as of late. I'd gone on a few casual outings in the last couple weeks but hadn't had a "real" date in about a month, which, surprisingly enough, I'd barely noticed. After a whirlwind first quarter I suppose I had to run out of steam eventually, but it was more a matter of my being distracted by other exciting developments in my life and my career than a lack of opportunity, though I have to admit that at the same time I've been more discriminating about who I choose to spend time with.

So although I didn't particularly miss the drama of dating I agreed to go out with this online guy who had been "pursuing" me for several months, and by pursuing I mean continuing to send me messages even though I rarely responded to them or any other Online Daters' messages. (I had OD'ed on OD.) In retrospect it was a foolish idea to go out with somone I had so little interest in from the beginning, but I remembered how I was always griping about passive putzes, which this guy certainly wasn't, so I felt bad and decided to reward him for all his efforts. What was that I'd said about pity dates? Oh yeah. No more of them, dammit!

The date was unremarkable, except that I had great fun bowling for the first time. (I bowled a 74 game, which, as a bowling virgin, I was extremely proud of.) I also have the at-times unfortunate skill of being able to get through dates with insufferable, irritating men with a smile on my face, something about "trying to make the best out of a bad situation". However, oftentimes the guy with whom I'm on the date ends up thinking I'm interested in him when I was only interested in being polite. After this guy took me on a (gag) romantic walk along the canal I knew it was time to end the date, which I did. Even though my trip was still a few days away at that point I told him I'd maybe give him a call after I got back, hoping that he'd get the hint. He didn't.

I don't know why I thought he'd let things die quietly when I went out with him in the first place on account of his aggressiveness. The freak show began early the following morning with a series of IMs telling me that we should start dating. I ignored this and avoided him as best I could - as much as you can avoid someone sending you IMs every few hours - while I thought of how best to let him down. In the meantime he followed up with three phone calls, one of which I missed while I was my tennis lesson. When I finally answered he totally flipped out, ranting and raving about how I'd been ditching him all day, how rude I was, and how I obviously didn't want to talk to him anymore. This was not even 24 hours after our first (and only) date. His emotional outburst creeped me out so I just said thanks for the previous evening and good luck. He'll need it.

2 Comments:

Blogger bava said...

I have no idea how some men are so entirely clueless, but it makes me think of the movie Swingers, and that makes me smile a little bit.

But only because it's not happening to me. Good luck. If the guy doesn't get the picture, I recommend being as blunt as possible. In the end, it's the nicer thing to do.

Sounds like the right time for a vacation. Hope you have fun. :)

5/19/2006 4:11 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

It's ironic that I ended up being rude by avoiding him while I figured out how to turn him down without being rude!

5/19/2006 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home